Sunday, December 27, 2009

Operation Nursery: Round 1

Here it is...round 1 of "Operation Nursery!"
So, I know it doesn't look like much...I had to give you two "before" photos! :o) Yes, the two above photos are most definitely the "before" photos. I have to take a few minutes to point out some of my favorite parts of the "before" photos. Here they are...
1.) The Rockband drums that you see in the background...awesome, I know.
2.) The chandelier on the floor...that is a future project for our master is going to be receiving a fresh coat of paint...and did I mention that it has been there, in that state, since oh...August!
3.) The large canvas with orange and pink ribbons on it. Any guesses as to what that is? don't think it is the perfect decoration for a boy's room...come on...all right. It is what we used a placecard holder at our wedding. Yup, the wedding that happened, oh, a year and a half ago...yup...that one.
Needless to say...we have a bit of work ahead of us before we are able to complete Landry's room. So, the first step was to clean out the cluttter...which of course meant cluttering up the other bedroom in our house.
Many of you know that I am a bit of a "blog stalker" and my husband will most definitely spill the beans on my internet addiction...I don't think it is that bad of a problem...doesn't everyone spend a few hours searching the web for great ideas? Anyway, during one of my "stalking" sessions I came across a great picture of a nursery at Design Dazzle...if you haven't checked out their is a MUST it!
So, once I had the room cleared was time to start taping, caulking and painting. I must share that this project led me to purchase a new toy that I am in love with...a laser level! Yup, that's right...I spent a whoppin' $15 on a Black and Decker laser level at Lowe's...if you are thinking of doing a project like is a will literally save you hours and the pain of painting crooked lines. With the help of my laser level I had the entire wall measured off and taped in about 30 lie! Here is a picture of the tape with the caulking:You may wonder why it is that I took the time to caulk all of the tape lines. Well, my dear friend, Shara told me that it was a guaranteed way to prevent the paint from seeping under the tape. If you have paint experiences like me, then you have definitely shared in the "what in the world" horror that often arises when it is time to peel away that magical, blue, painter's tape only to find TONS of bleed throughs. She told me to get regular painter's caulk and use it to "seal" the edges of the paint. Now, I must warn you...the caulk does cost like $2...I may blow your budget...and it took me about 1.5-2 hours just to caulk...but...the end result, after paint and all was this...Can you hear my scream of excitement through your computer? Yes, I have to say that I am ABSOLUTELY in love with the way it turned out. Do you see all of those fabulous, straight, crisp, clean lines and boxes. Let me just add that I did NO touch up work...not a lick! So, I am now a true believer in the magic of a little caulking. Yes, it added to the prep time...but the amount of joy that it brings me knowing that the lines are so crisp is is like crack for someone with a type A personality...I LOVE IT!
Now, there are still several projects to start and finish...keep posted for an update on the bedding I am making...until then...SMILE!!!!


  1. I LOVE IT!! So cute and you did a great job.

  2. are you freakin kidding me on how cute that is! i'm going to be painting some stripes on trevor's wall and will definately be caulking! love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. SO cute!!! I love those colors together.