Monday, August 1, 2011

Mommy Moment Monday - Shopping

According to Dictionary.com:
shop-ping
        verb: to visit shops and stores for purchasing or examining goods.



I am pretty sure that whoever wrote that definition never attempted to go shopping with a child. Before having a child shopping consisted of taking my time, going from store to store, trying things on, taking a look at all of the options, going to the mall or little shops. It was an enjoyable activity. People minded their own business...and I minded mine.
 
Now...let's cut to the post-child version of "shopping." I think the best way to describe it is that every venture is like you are on an episode of Supermarket Sweep...only every store/parking lot is filled with a bunch of Dr. Phil's...oh ya...and you have a cute, little, person in your cart acting like an ejector seat...everything you put in the cart...they throw out. Oh...and don't forget...you don't win a prize for being the fastest and spending the most.
 
I have traded in the leisurely stroll to the mall or favorite boutique for my "drive-thru" shopping at Target. Really, if it isn't a clothing item on the main aisle of Target...I don't know it exists. I literally go by and grab anything that looks relatively cute. There is no trying it on...I'm lucky if I even grab the right size...no looking at the color choices...just grab it and go. Which of course results in one thing...a lot of returns! :o)
 
After 15 months of this you would think I would be used to it...and yet, I am still completely shocked and amazed at some of the things that people feel they need to share, comment on, or criticize. I will share with you some of my favorites:
 
Kohls Parking Lot
I am loading Landry into the stroller, heading into Kohls on a sunny day.
 
Random Lady in the parking lot: "I can't believe you don't have sunscreen on that child...he is going to get completely sunburned. You should at least put a hat on him!"
 
Me: "Thanks." Thinking to myself...I am going from my car to the store...he will be in the sun for about 1 minute...but thanks for sharing...and how do you know I don't have sunscreen on him.
 
Grocery Store
 
Cashier: "What a cute baby! What is his name?"
 
Me: "Landry"
 
Cashier: "Lundry?"
 
Me: "No, Landry."
 
Cashier: " Hmm...that's a different name. I guess if you like it then that's all that matters."
 
JoAnn's
 
Elderly Lady: "He is such a cutie! My goodness...are you still nursing?"
 
Me: "Thank you...um...no."
 
Elderly Lady: "Huh...look at his legs...they're huge!"
 
Don't get me wrong...there have been many pleasant conversations with people...and many compliments about his behavior and such. It is just so amazing to me that people don't realize what they are saying...or do they?
 
Of course...I have to give you a picture...here is Handsome...shades and all!

Yes, he did get a sticker at Target for "being safe and buckling up!" :o)

1 comment:

  1. O-M-G!!! Get me their names and I will TAKE THEM DOWN (even the little old lady)! How freakin' rude and moronic. You are so sweet to not engage them -- it would probably just get worse. You, my dear, have class -- and that makes all the difference ;o)

    ReplyDelete